Previous Rule (282)
Breakdowns and incidents (274 to 287)
Next Rule (284)
If you are involved in a crash or stop to give assistance
- use your hazard warning lights to warn other traffic
- ask drivers to switch off their engines and stop smoking
- arrange for the emergency services to be called immediately with full details of the incident location and any casualties (on a motorway, use the emergency telephone which allows easy location by the emergency services. If you use a mobile phone, first make sure you have identified your location from the marker posts on the side of the hard shoulder)
- move uninjured people away from the vehicles to safety; on a motorway this should, if possible, be well away from the traffic, the hard shoulder and the central reservation
- do not move injured people from their vehicles unless they are in immediate danger from fire or explosion
- do not remove a motorcyclist’s helmet unless it is essential to do so
- be prepared to give first aid
- stay at the scene until emergency services arrive.
If you are involved in any other medical emergency on the motorway you should contact the emergency services in the same way.
There are no annotations yet for this rule.
In order to contribute your own annotation, you need to log in with one of these sources: